My Prayer Time

I have felt compelled for some time to share my prayers and talks with God with others. That is what this blog is for, and I hope God belsses you with these words. Of course, I would love to hear from others as well.

Friday, April 14, 2006

Love

I recently read Luke 6:27-37 as part of my devotional. It is a very familiar passage of Scripture, one I’ve read many times. It speaks of a love we are to have for our enemies that I just don’t think I possess yet.

Would I be able to let someone take my cloak AND my tunic? Would I let someone strike me on one cheek and then let them strike me on the other? Could I lend to someone take what belongs to me and not demand it back? I don’t think so.

In verse 35 it says we are to lend to our enemies without expecting to get anything back. I wonder if I could even lend to an enemy, much less not demand repayment.

I usually think of this in terms of money or stuff, but I think this includes things like kindness, compassion a warm smile and a genuine greeting. Can I be kind to others when they aren’t kind to me? Can I "lend" compassion to someone who is not compassionate?

I think most of us have no enemies. I know I don’t. I only deal with people I don’t like to deal with or people who are hard to deal with. I know if the Bible tells us how to act toward enemies, it has to be the same way we are to act toward people who are rough around the edges or family members or coworkers.

I have a long way to go.


In Christ,
Clint Herman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home